We understand that navigating the Building Regulations can be a complex process and so work in partnership with you, to guide your project to a successful completion.
Prior to commencing work, you will need to determine if your project requires a Building Regulation application. We are more than happy to discuss your project with you to advise if an application is required and provide you with a formal fee quote.
Should you choose to appoint Approved Inspectors Ltd as the Building Control Body (BCB) for your project, we will submit an Initial Notice to the relevant Local Authority on your behalf.
The Initial Notice serves two purposes, first it informs the Local Authority that the Building Control on your project will be undertaken by Approved Inspectors Ltd and secondly it registers the project on the Local Authority’s system so that future legal searches can be carried out by conveyancing Solicitors.
We are able to deal with any type of domestic building work which requires Building Regulation approval.
Some of the services we offer include:
- Pre-submission advice – if required we can provide advice prior to the project starting, including visiting site.
- Initial Notice Submission – we will submit an Initial Notice on your behalf to the Local Authority. This informs the Local Authority that we will be carrying out the Building Control work on your project and must be submitted before work can commence.
- Plan checking – we will check your plans for compliance with the Building Regulations and provide a report detailing areas of non-compliance.
- Consultations – where necessary we will consult with relevant statutory bodies such as the water authority.
- Key Stage Inspections – all projects are issued with an Inspection Notification Framework (INF) which outlines the key stages at which we need to inspect the project. Approved Inspectors Ltd will continually review this framework throughout the duration of the project to ensure the site inspection regime is tailored to your project.
- Final Certificate – on satisfactory completion of the project we will issue a Final Certificate.
If you are unsure if your proposed project requires Building Regulation approval please contact us for further advice.
What are the Building Regulations?
The Building Regulations are a set of standards issued by the government by which new buildings and alterations to existing buildings must comply. They ensure the health and safety of people using the buildings, ensure suitable access and facilities and promote sustainable development.
What is Building Control?
Building Control is the term used to described the process of checking if your project complies with the Building Regulations.
Do I need Building Regulation approval?
Most building projects will need to comply with the Building Regulations and they can apply even when planning approval is not required. Some smaller projects may be exempt. For more information get in touch using the contact form or by phone for an initial discussion.
How do I engage Approved Inspectors Ltd on my project?
Please confirm our appointment by completing the Appointment Form sent with the Fee Quote. We will then sign an Initial Notice on your behalf and submit to the relevant Local Authority.
How do I make payment?
Fees are required to be paid in full on submission of the Initial Notice. Payments can be made by cheque (made payable to Approved Inspectors Ltd), debit or credit card phone payment or BACS transfer.
When can I start on site?
Approved Inspectors Ltd must be appointed to the project and the Initial Notice submitted five working days prior to work starting on site. An Initial Notice is valid for three years before any work needs to start on site.
When do I need an inspection?
At the beginning of the project we will send you an Inspection Notification Framework (INF) which outlines the key stages of the project which we will need to inspect. Please contact us when you reach one of these stages so an inspection can be booked in.
How do I book an inspection?
Once Approved Inspectors Ltd has been appointed on your project you can book an inspection with one of our surveyors by calling your local office.
What do I need to do at the end of my project?
Please ensure you (or your builder) requests a final inspection. We may also request additional certificates before the work can be signed off e.g. electrical and gas certificates.
What is a Final Certificate?
The Final Certificate is issued after the final completion inspection and when our surveyor is happy the work complies with the Building Regulations.
Can I move in before receiving the Final Certificate?
If you occupy a building which is non-compliant for more than eight weeks the local authority may deem the Initial Notice invalid. In these cases, please contact us as soon as possible so we can request an Extension of Time to ensure you have longer to complete the work.